The Town of Ithaca wraps around the City of Ithaca and overlooks it from its vantage on three hills. It is intersected by Fall Creek, Cascadilla, Buttermilk, Enfield Glen, and Six Mile Creek and the gorges they create. The Town of Ithaca was created in 1821 and is divided not only by Cayuga Lake but also the Cayuga Inlet reaching south. The Town has doubled in population over the past forty years, growing to 18,198 in 2000. Both the spectacular Museum of the Earth and Cornell’s Laboratory of Ornithology opened new facilities in the Town in 2002.
David George, Historian
Town of Ithaca Historian