Mapping Tompkins County !
Welcome to the Tompkins Geographic Information Services (GIS) Division.
The GIS Division is part of the Department of Information Technology Services. Tompkins County began its investment in GIS in the mid 1990s with the conversion of the County's
tax mapping paper archives to a multi-layerd GIS dataset.
Today, the County has developed a robust GIS that is used by many county departments, local governments, and the community at large.
Who Are We? The GIS Division serves as the agency for enterprise GIS development and data distribution. We provide GIS direction, GIS project assistance and deploy GIS technology for county departments, other municipalities, and the public. We've been doing the work of GIS before Google Maps made it popular or any Geospatial Revolution.
- OTHER DEPTS
Enterprise Oversight, Management, Deployments, etc.-Greg, Catt, and Svetla, ITS
Whether Greg is advising a department on how to integrate GIS into a new enterprise application, Svetla is working with a department to create a new online app or Catt is deploying a new server to handle the new application or figuring out why the dipatchers are getting GISI errors while trying to find an address in the dispatching system, Greg, Catt and Svetla are always busy. They use every tool at their disposal to ensure GIS goodness for alll. As such, the team is currently responsible for:
- Providing Assistance to county departments in deploying GIS data and
applications to support departmental efforts;
- Development and maintenance of countywide address data;
- Application support for public safety and emergency response;
- Ad hoc map creation for County agencies, local governments, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and the general public;
- Data distribution through online data repositoriesl
- Web application development and support for county departments, local governments, and the general public;
- Development of new geospatial datasets and mapping services as requested;
- GIS software license Administration and;
- Management and day-to-day maintanance of the Counties Enterpise-wide GIS including all hardware and software products used therein.
GIS Analysis- Sharon, Planning Dept
An employee of the Planning Department, Sharon maintains any and all layers relating to overall county planning activities, These layes include; zoning, land use land cover, agricultural districts, and all GIS related layer encompassed in the County Comprehensive Plan. Sharon uses, ArcGIS Desktop 10, Spatial Analyst and Community Viz to create and maintain data that affects all aspects of Tompkins County Comprehensive Plan and local Community Planning efforts.
Tax Mapping- Jay, Vicki & Micheal, Assessment
Today, the County offers tax mapping information online through the Department of Asssement website. The site is maintained by Jay who in addition to directing the Assessment Department's numerous activities, provides oversight for ongoing tax mapping efforts. The day-to-day mapping work is handled by Vicky and Micheal who utizie the tax mapping toolset of ArcGIS for Desktop with custom code to split, consolidate, and make boundary adjustments to parcels that come from legal desciptions and paper maps. As such they process an average of 650 changes annually and serve as caretaker for over 35,000 parcels.
Address Data Maintenance- Claudia, Dept. of Emergency Response
Claudia has been maintaing address data for the Department of Emergency Response for more than a decade. Whether she gets a new address via fax, email or paper napkin, this ends up in the system eventually so when you call 911 they know where to send assistance. She still maintains the old DOS based system (where the phone numbers are) as well make sure that the new Address Database Maintenance System and latest geobase configuration has the right information.
Highway and Transportation- Ryan Highway, Tom & Victor Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council (ITCTC)
Ryan utilizes Cartegraph Software, Trimble GPS equipment and ArcGIS Desktop to track the County Highway assets. He spends most of his time in the field inspecting and collecting data for transportation assests (signs, bridges, cluverts, guardrails and roadways). While Ryan is buy in the field, Tom and Victor are busy modelling these assests in TransCAD and ArcGIS Desktop and Planning for the next transportation improvement project.
Feel Free to Access
- Our extensive Map Library- Free download in Adobe PDF format
- Historic Maps for purchase via the History center) Maps in PDF format
- Free data for download (requires GIS Software)
- Free interactive maps (like Google maps but with specific local data)
- Access to Our Services- We enjoy serving you!