your questions to
STATEMENT OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ASSESSMENT
The mission of the Tompkins County
Department of Assessment is:
The Tompkins County Department of
Assessment does NOT:
- to yearly assess properties at uniform percentage of fair
market value in order to equitably distribute the tax burden amongst
the taxable properties within Tompkins County,
- to administer real property tax exemptions as provided by the
New York State Real Property Tax Law.
- educate the general public about Real Property Assessment
- determine the amount of taxes that an individual property will
pay (a combination of assessment and tax levy does that),
- advocate for any real property tax exemptions (DofA will
administer any exemptions mandated by the NYSRPTL or allowed by
- have any assessment be influenced by any political entity (The
DofA is totally independent - all employees of the DofA are civil
servants and do not serve at the whim of any political body).
- value property based upon names or ability to pay taxes (market
value dictates how properties are valued).